Friday, September 27, 2013

Lights, closet doors, finished bedroom!

Our lights, closet door hardware, and final set of blinds arrived on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. These were the only things between us and a finished bedroom.  Here is a picture of the closet doors painted and back on the track. 

Also, here is a picture of the lights.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Another look into our old bedroom

Our former spare bedroom kind of became a junk room, or the island of misfit junk. It got that way because we had no furniture to put in the room. Now, our old bedroom has become the new spare room, and we refuse to let the same fate befall this room.  So, we dug our old futon out of Michael's parents basement and covered it with our old bedspread. Not too shabby!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Not to be a tease or anything...

We have moved our furniture into the new master suite, but we don't have the hardware to finish the closet doors. So, in lieu of pictures of the new room I thought I'd share a picture of our former bedroom furniture removed.  

Friday, September 20, 2013

Color selections

If you guessed that we are using turquoise're wrong!  We painted 3 of the four walls Gravity Gray, and the fourth wall is painted Sweet Lemon.  Here is a picture of the wall colors. 
We are finished with all of the trim painting wall painting, and closet work.  The major project that we have to finish is the painting of the closet doors, which should be finished this weekend. 

We also have to install the last of our new blinds.  We received them all in the mail on Wednesday, but one of them was damaged, so we had to send it back.  Here is a picture of the blinds. 

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Why my husband is a genius

On our journey to make our bedroom with the half bath into a true-ish master, I had one large request of Michael, make my closet doors fit the opening properly.

Here was the problem:

Our closet opening is 42 inches.  All of our closets have wooden bypass doors on a track.  The standard opening size is 48 inches, which means that the standard doors that were on the closet were 24 inches each.  This made the actual opening (that we use to get stuff in and out of the closet) was only 18 inches, which was too small for both of us.

 The solution?  Easy!  Cut the doors!  Sounds simple enough, but the doors are hollow, as in, filled with cardboard.  I thought that Michael would simply cut them down to the right size, and that would be all, but this is what the ends looked like. Not quite the look we're going for. 

All along Michael kept telling me about a plan to fix the doors, but that it was going to be a pain to fix.  So, last night we made several cuts on the table saw, and this is how he fixed the problem. 

He cut a small strip out of the wood that was going to be thrown away. 
Then he took said strip, and glued it into the door. 

Now the doors are in the process of being sanded and painted!  I could have never thought of such an elaborate way to make the doors we have work!  His idea saved us at least $200!  Thank you honey!  You are a genius!  We now have two 21 inch bypass doors!

Oops--Finished bathroom

My apologies for the delay, I'm sure that everyone has been chomping at the bit to see the completed bathroom!  We finished it right after I got home from my trip to New York.  So after much adieu, here is the finished bathroom!

 View from the door.  I painted the picture that is on the wall. 
 Mirror, light, and towel rack

Toilet and medicine cabinet
 Vanity & sink

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

We have tile!

Michael spent Sunday afternoon putting tile in! He is the most patient man I have ever met, because the tile that includes the toilet pipe took him close to an hour to cut. 

The tile was completely installed by Sunday evening, but grout cannot be applied until 16 hours after the tile has been laid.  So, Michael spent a few hours grouting the tile on Monday. 

 tile before grout

grouted tile